How to write a letter? Structure, personal and business letters
People have been writing text messages to each other since forever. By postcard’s style, you could always evaluate a person’s character, his education, hobbies, and most importantly – how well he speaks the language in which he writes.
Either you want to find out how to write a letter when attending to a college, contacting colleagues or friends, this skill will be handy throughout whole your life. There are three most common types of correspondence: formal, also known as a business, personal (or informal) and cover letter. When you want to sign off a cover letter or to write a thank you letter to a friend, a format of the traditional paper will show effort, care and respect for others.
We designed a step by step guide to letter formats, starting with the main idea, ending with signing it off.
Before the writing
- Think about the bottom line you want to transfer to another person before writing. In case you are going to write by hand, consider composing a draft before starting the main part. It will help you to avoid making any mistakes.
- When finally writing a letter, place all the information final reader wants to know at the beginning. As the example think of answers college entrants receive from universities in respond to their applications. Firstly, goes the main plot either it is acceptance letter “We are honored to offer you admission…” or a decline “We have to inform you with regret…”. In the same way, the main news of your message should be placed at the beginning.
- Speaking about a formal correspondence, use this business letter format to start your paper:
- Accost the concerned person, do include his/her full address;
- Write full date to let your acquaintance identify time of the dispatch;
- Include subject line to single out the purpose of the outreach;
Starting the letter
- Start with a greeting, and place this salutation into the left side of the page. The most popular for of the opening is “Dear” + Person’s first name followed by coma. When addressing someone in a very formal way or someone you don’t know, “Dear” would be the right greeting. For more casual salutations you might use ‘Hi Name’, or ‘Hello Name’.
- The first paragraph should be written depending on the recipient. Whenever writing a personal letter consider starting with something informal such as ‘How are you?’ or casual ‘How’s it ‘ As we said before, be direct in this opening paragraph and explain the purpose of writing. Provide a brief recap on why you are writing, and do it in a transparent manner.
Writing a letter
- The plot should be a unique section of the whole correspondence. Generally, most formal mails should be no more than two pages long, though personal messages might be as long or even as short as you like it. The two greatest aspects of the body are that you should write in a concise and clear way and make sure each paragraph is worthwhile reading.
- If you write a letter to a friend, consider these features:
- Ensure you include address of a person you are writing to;
- Add the date;
- Appeal to the concerned person with a greeting;
- The body of the mail may be of more casual writing style.
- A longer body may be more relevant for the letter of complaint. But overall stay as close to the point as it is possible. Nail down your message is interesting to the recipient. Legibly state the points you want to share.
Letter sign offs
- Use the closing paragraph to indicate the type of the response you are waiting for. If you wait for the reverse letter, do include these sentences:
‘Looking forward to your ‘
‘You can reach out to me via phone or email.’
- You should sign off with an expression which shows your friendly mood. It is also known as a farewell or complimentary close; they are ‘Regards,’ ‘Cheers,’ ‘Best wishes’ or ‘Thanks.’ Select the correct sign off according to the level of formality. This farewell should be aligned to the left side of the page and sign your name underneath.
To sum up, the content is always more important than format. With all the trends in our world, requirements to modern letters can be modified. What is eternal – is respect to a high-quality formation and the intelligence of your words. So make sure your grammar is correct (luckily it is not so hard to do with such modern tools like Grammarly). With this program, you can dramatically upgrade the quality of your documents, emails, messages and much more.
Try it now Just focus on writing of a story, not its accuracy.