How to develop excellent interpersonal skills
While trying to find a definition or understand what are interpersonal skills people usually think they need to learn how to communicate. And that is correct. But communication is not only a talk but also an exchange of the information. That is why a communicative person – is a sociable person, who is able to receive and pass the information. Not all people are inherently communicable, but with a particular desire, this skill could be developed! So here we are going to explain how interpersonal relationships can be improved.
To develop interpersonal communication skills, you should implement a couple of important steps out of our list and evolve some attainments.
What are interpersonal skills? How to develop excellent interpersonal skills as well as communication skills?
- A communicative person should have an extensive vocabulary. We know that it is hard to communicate and express thoughts for individuals with a small vocabulary. Because they don’t have tools for that – words. Apart from that, if you are able to interact with others with a few words, you can be described as a talkative person. But it has no relation to interpersonal skills. They say about such people “A lot of words – a little of information.”
To improve some words, you not only know, but also use in the speech, one should read a lot. If you find some unfamiliar words search for their definition, and try not only to remember it. But also do use in the interpersonal communication, another word for speech.
- A lot of people can think, and they possess a sufficient level of intelligence. However, it is hard for some to express their thoughts, as a result – it is hard to establish an interpersonal relationship. What to do in this case and how to get interpersonal skills? You SHOULD unite thoughts into a coherent speech. Speaking is different from writing, we can write very well and talk badly.
Our task is to improve speaking skills. Therefore, you can read short stories and repeat them out loud for training. You can repeat different texts or same text over and over but in a different manner. On the one hand, it will give a possibility to expand a vocabulary and on the other, improve interpersonal skills. One of the relatively simple and common types of texts that can be taken to paraphrase are jokes. You can also use a fairy tale or parables.
360training.com – Leading Provider of Continuing Education, Career Skills and Compliance Solutions CHECK NOW
- Crucial skill in improving interpersonal effectiveness is a braveness in communication. Sometimes we are shy, at
times it is hard to talk to a stranger. To build braveness and easiness one should overcome a fear of talking to unfamiliar people. Try to find a reason or topic you can discuss with someone in a taxi, at the cash register or just in the street. Or make the interlocutor talk. Try this technique to check your ability to start a conversation. If it is not a problem for you, there is no need to practice.
- Next important people skill – is that communicative person should be able to keep the ball rolling. But we remind you that communication is an exchange of the information, where principles of the human interaction should be respected. To do so, you must learn to listen to the other person and show you hear and understand him. Ie, develop the quality of a pleasant companion.
There are many techniques you can use to show another person that you are listening, and it is interesting to you. One of such methods is called a paraphrase, or the ability to repeat the last sentence of the interlocutor in other words.
This and a few other examples of interpersonal skills indicate that you are on the same wave with the person, and you hear what he says.
An obvious mistake of many people is when they start a monologue instead of listening and leave nothing to say to their companion. Dialogue involves a skill to hold a conversation, that is to follow up a topic started by another party. And as a result of the ability to maintain the interest of the interlocutor and to stimulate him to reveal the subject more deeply.
- One important condition is the capacity to empathize with the other person. In psychology, it is called empathy. The thing is in the conversation you express not only words but also feelings and emotions. A good interlocutor always empathizes, that means he joins the speaker, receives and reflects his experiences, which also contributes to the further development of dialogue.
- Besides all of the above, it is important to develop ingenuity in communication and the ability to control the attention of the interlocutor. If you learn how to do it, you will intrigue with the speech. You will talk not only with dry facts but wrap them in the impressive form. Ability to influence people’s attention is a mandatory skill for a good speaker.
- And the last point we would like to mention is capacity to create a good impression of yourself so that other person wanted to interact with you. It will result in an effective interpersonal communication. To do so, you should have a neat and tidy appearance, behave gently and at the same time don’t be too restrained or clamped. Feel free and relaxed.